For various reasons June was spent in laptop-in-a-bag mode. At some point I opened a fresh Ableton project to keep myself sane and started putting things in it and as we got to month end I've just rendered the fucker out and put it on the interweb because you can't stop me hah.
- With an Epiphone Wildkat and a grain delay set at 50% dry/wet and 60Hz frequency one can do a fairly passable berimbau impression.
- The riff in the middle (about the 5.30 mark) may have to get promoted to a "proper" song at some point.
- Everything here is Ableton internal instruments apart from NI Guitar Rig (for dem twang) and Izotope VocalSynth 2 for ring modulated Maybot* renderings.
- Vocals (such as they are) were recorded at my mum's kitchen table with some kit I borrowed from my brother. I tried to work out a way of getting my dad's old guitar in there (the very instrument I learned "Stairway" on), but alas the 15 mins I had to record it didn't render anything useful.
- This has been remarkably cathartic during a lightly hectic time. Not sure it's useful to anyone but me, but putting down notes without agenda or a plan... just reacting to what's around you, what you're in the mood for and using what's to hand is... liberating. Musical diary? Hmmm. I'm opening a "July" project now.
* Theresa was on her way out. Tories on life support, and all that. Plus I saw a lot of IV bags last month.
Posted Tuesday, July 2, 2019.
I’ve been hoarding gear for twenty years and have completely run out of space. For the next few months I’m going to be chucking some odds and sods on eBay. The occasional guitar, some synths, a shed load of FX pedals and a couple of slices of Looptron history...
End of days for Daredevil
Marvel and Netflix have rammed the billy club of cancellation through Daredevil’s skull. This is no bad thing.
Made a little timelapse film using my iPhone and the top deck of a surprisingly empty 207 bus from Shepherd's Bush to Acton. I'm teaching myself Final Cut Pro using my typical "learn by doing” method. As such, I have discovered my default approach to editing video is the same as playing the guitar. USE ALL THE PLUGINS.
Sell your eyeballs direct!
Radioactive Love (Rig Mk2 Demo)
New(ish) song, first successful(ish) run through on a rainy Tuesday lunchtime. Ableton is doing patch switching in Guitar Rig AND the loop triggers as part of the scene changes so only one pedal is required to drive this. It's the future people.
FFS. Google have now started putting banners in Inbox (my mail app of choice) to remind everyone that they're killing Inbox next March, something I'd be studiously ignoring since they announced it back in September. I actually wish they hadn’t told me at all because my OCD will be spending the next 6 months evaluating Inbox replacements and rebuilding my "workflow" in them (which mainly consists of repeatedly snoozing mails until I HAVE to deal with them) before I inevitably give up and just revert to using Gmail like they want me to.
Twenty years ago today.
It had been fifteen years seen the hero beat up his father so badly the old man died from his wounds. Fifteen years since we watched a group of terrorists enlist the help of the Care Bears to slaughter thousands of unwitting civil servants and proceed to overthrow the closest thing to a strong and stable government the galaxy had seen in millenia.